Tuesday, June 3, 2008

my business is growing up

I just placed a $650 wholesale order for yarn today--the largest order I've ever placed. Usually I buy through co-ops, for $100-$200 at a time. But this will be quite the box when it arrives.

I've done a lot of random yarn buys over the past year and a half, seeing what's out there and what I like to work with the best. I've decided now to focus on just my preferred few. The worsted, aran and bulky weights will be sold through my HC store; the sock yarn through a future Etsy store. I've narrowed the heavier yarns down to four types, and the sock yarn to two. It feels good to focus!

It should also help me to better track my inventory. I've got two Rubbermaid tubs of yarn full of undyed yarn. But much to my surprise, when I opened them this weekend to get out some yarn to wind off into skeins, I was down to less than a pound of my two most common types. The shortage was totally camouflaged by all the other yarn. I have to decide now if I want to dye it up and sell it, or probably take a loss and just destash it. I'm leaning towards destashing, because I'm excited about my new direction, but the idea of losing money is never a fun one, of course.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Moments like that really hit you in an amazing way. It can be pretty overwhelming to see your business grow bigger and stronger, but hang in there! You may find new opportunities in the direction you're taking, so take care and best of luck to you!

-Chris Ricci

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't even remember writing this post. It's hilarious that I thought I was consolidating my product line back in 2008 (because I totally didn't), or that I thought two Rubbermaid tubs was a lot of yarn. $650 now feels like a pretty small wholesale order. How times have changed!