Monday, January 2, 2012

Polar Bear Dip 2012

Yesterday we did the annual Polar Bear Dip in Lake Padden. My husband got it into his head that he wanted to do it, the boy eagerly agreed, and I decided I wasn't going to get left out. We were first-timers, and I was astonished by the number of crazy people in Bellingham who were willing to do this. The parking lots at the lake were filled and cars were parked all along the road--there were probably twice as many people there as on the hottest summer day. This is just a handful of the people who were there.


Some people dressed for the occasion.


It was the low 40s so we waited till 11:59 on the countdown clock to strip down. Then we dashed down to the water. My philosophy was to think as little as possible, so I splashed in till I was deep enough to not belly flop on gravel, and then flung myself in. Then I got the hell out. Husband and boy were still wading slowly out by the time I got back to the towels.

It was kind of ... fun? Did I just say that?

I also managed to finish a shawl--Kleio by Rosemary Hill. Love it, though the knitted-on edging took me as long as the rest of the shawlette. Here it is blocking.


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Melinda C. said...

We were there too! Yes, first timers, yes, my husband's idea, but no, my boys refused (intelligent children!). It was fun, but not sure if I'd do it again--perfect day for it, though. Probably the warmest you'll get on January 1st.

And the socks I made for my aunt with the Garnet yarn you dyed special for me just before Thanksgiving turned out great. Thank you, and I look forward to using your yarn again.

--Melinda