Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the Huckleberry colorway

For over a year now, I've been thinking about a huckleberry colorway. I thought it would have purple and green for sure, and possibly some silvery grey like the twigs of a huckleberry bush. But I never got around to dyeing it because there was something missing from the image in my head.

A couple of weeks ago, I was developing a colorway for my spring training swap partner on Ravelry. It was supposed to be deep reds and blues, with some purples where the colors overlapped. But through the magic of kettle dyeing, the experimental skein turned into something quite different and wholly charming. When the skein had dried, I took it into natural daylight and the rich purples and wine reds leaped out at me. It looked just like a bowlful of freshly washed huckleberries. And I knew I'd gotten my namesake colorway.



3 comments:

Stoat said...

I like it! It's a very soothing blend of colors.

Pegi Frostholm said...

And, as the recipient, I have to say it's just gorgeous in real life! I can't wait to knit it up into some lovely cushy comfy socks... I can't thank you enough, Scarlet!

Unknown said...

Hi Pegi! Your yarn is actually my Echo colorway, so it's got a lot more blue in it than Huckleberry. But clearly they're cousins. :)

I'd love to see photos whenever you knit it up. I'll be watching your projects page!